Matthew is asking everyone to withdraw their money from big banks that are supported by corporations and Government bailouts, and open up an account with a credit union who are normally supported by the membership of their financial institution.
Two of the larger banks funding the DAPL are Chase Bank and Wells Fargo. Matthew had funds in both banks but removed them in favor of an account at a local credit union.
He told the managers at both banks why he was removing his funds. The entire process of removing his holdings and opening a new account to deposit them into took less than an hour and half, but it was time well spent as Matthew now knows he is not supporting the encroachment of native lands by being part of the machine that is currently funding this atrocity.
Quick Facts about the Dakota Access Pipeline.
- Opposition has voiced concern for over two years.
- In recent months direct action has led to media attention.
- Social media campaign responsible for national attention.
- Freelance journalists have been shot and arrested.
- Private military contractors have been hired to guard the pipeline.
- Police from seven different states have arrested over hundreds of people.
- There is no written easement for DAPL.
- President Obama has addressed possible alternate routes for the DAPL.